Fathers Day

So the father of my child is not here, there or anywhere. I have mixed feelings about how i am going to deal with this on a lifelong basis. Sometimes i wonder if I made the right decision about becoming a single mom. Was it a selfish decision? Was I so weak that i couldn't give this little joy a family of both mother and father to enjoy? But then I think, what kind of life would he have if he couldn't have known either of his parents? I was capable of keeping my child and am thankful everyday for the decision I made.

As I watch my son in day to day activities I realize how genetically predisposed we are as creatures. Some of his gestures /movements from birth are identical to mine, and even other members of my family. Some of them must be from his father. It is so amazing to be a parent. Especially a mother. You are connected to these little beings from the moment of conception. They live inside of you. And become a part of who you are.

Happy Fathers Day to the fathers of this world. You should be thankful for the children who choose you as parents. It is a gift you give yourself. It can be trying and painful. But on the days when the sun shines just right on you both, it is the greatest love you will ever know. To hear those little laughs, watch those little eyes that look just like yours admiring your wisdom. Feeling so proud when they finally say, Dad.

Much love and gratitude for all that you do.

Comments

newwavegurly said…
Just because someone has impregnated a woman, it doesn't make him a true Father. From what you've said about your son's biological Father, you made the right decision, and he'll have a better life because of it.

Happy Father's Day to you... for you are both Mother and Father to your child for now.
ResearchGuy® said…
From a singled Dad, you get all the respect in the world from me.
Michelle said…
I make mistakes in parenting all the time but, with enough love, anything can be overcome.

We all do our best and learn as we go.
Alexandra said…
I am in awe of your being both mother AND father to your child. What a beautifully written and tear-inducing entry, Melanie! I had a dad living in my house--but he really wasn't in my life much. So sometimes an absence rather than a person sending you the message "you are not worth my time" is far better for a child's health. :nod:
edieraye said…
Echoing what everyone else said, lots of love is what every kid needs. The rest is negotiable. Your child is being cared for in the best way possible. May "the sun shine just right on you both" today and every day.
Alison said…
You're doing the hardest and best job in the world. And it sounds like you're doing it well.
b said…
Thanks Melanie - happy belated Father's Day to you - my friends have called me up on Mother's Day to make sure I knew where I stood with them- I even once received flowers from a friend who included the note "You a BAD Mother!"- Those calls (especially those flowers, from a good friend; a man gone sad and lost now), although they were also painful reminders of what my children lacked, mean a lot to me and have steadied me through many hard times that were not Holidays.

I know how it feels to be 2-in-1 parents - it's overwhelming AND wonderful, not times 2, but squared!

When I'm gone my children will not be an extension of me, they will be themselves - but they will know they were loved by me- thatisall, and for me, thatisenough! :)

You are blessed, and you are a blessing.

-b

Popular Posts