Todd Snider & His Harmony-ca

So tonight i went to see Mr.Todd Snider. If you have never heard of him, look him up If you have heard of him, and have not seen him perform, shame on you. If you know of him and have seen him perform, mucho gusto. It is a treat. I am critical of performers. Have seen alot of excellent local and well known performances. This was worth it. In spades. He is the kind of artist that writes from the heart. I am not sure where that is with others. But he says it like he sees it. Sometimes that is a wing job. Sometimes he is staring right at you with passion and persuasion. Other times he has on a mask to hide the pain. Its an artist thing. But the beauty of his work is in its humanity. And i say that with all my heart, compassion, and comradery of spirit.

My best friend and i went to this show together. She had not heard of him before i told her i bought these tickets. She listened to a few of the CDs that i have. She noticed the differences between the beginning compositions, and the current ones. This lead to a discussion of chemical abuse by artists...no offense Todd. During an intermission we discussed artists propensity to imbibe. I reminded her that it was not uncommon for artists to numb themselves through chemicals. Being an artist, i have participated and observed this behaviour quite a few times over the years. She questioned me about this, curious as to why. So follows my unschooled but experienced theory. I say to her, artists communicate things on a different level than non artists. Being creative opens doors, windows, and cracks that let in alot more than others are used to seeing. Our filters are not as dense as to block the negative, or not see it. That would stiffle the creative spirits. So as the good filters through us in abundance, so does the bad. And you find ways to cope with it. Block the bad pictures. Normally any numbing device that you come across will work. The benefit of drugs/alcohol is that it creates a false sense of euphoria. Hiding any pain that is lurking. I have realized the best way to deal with pain is to walk through the flames and see the pain for what it is. Dissect and Redirect. This was/is not easy for me. Sure pain is just another form of information, but it is infomation that can take you down into a hole. Just like joy takes you through the roof. And we all have paths to recovery, some not as safe as others. I will not look down my nose at humanity, its frailties or conditions. It is some of the most inspirational avenues we have. It is classical music, classical art, modern mania, and fervent disscusions. And the reason for most people to get out of bed each day.

Mr Todd Snider, if you ever come across my little blog entry, know this. You are an inspirtation to others. In spite of human frailties, you will rise again from the ashes. i love your soul, man. Its truely a light for others to see. don't take it away. Time is a commodity, as you have seen by making it to this spot. The more you push it out of the way, the more you lose. Let those tears flow, and let go. The storms come and go. Push back. You probably know better than I about many things. But i do know that when i sink down, its a long way back up. Let the hands of those who care about you bring you to the surface. Life is just a pile of shit we shovel from one heap to the next. And in between are the fragrant blossoms of love, compassion, and music. Oh yea. Live. And even in the uncomfortable seats, you can learn all you want, if you take a peak around the mirror.

Pontification ceased. Enjoy yourself, its later than you think...Love you Todd S. keep makin smiles and sighs.

Comments

aNON said…
I had never heard of Todd Snider.

However, I can completely relate to your post. I can't speak for anyone else, but as someone in a creative field, I feel pressured by life (the good and the bad). My reactions are reflex-like and for the most part I end up NEEDING the 'inspiration' rather than just seeking it.

Music is a big one, I can listen to Nina Simone for hours. I suppose she has the same effect on me that Todd Snider has on you.

If not familiar, I highly recommend her.

Popular Posts