My old man...

My cat Calvin is approaching 17 years of age. And still in pretty good health! Just a little arthritis and some serious obsession with his caretaker. Yea that would be me. He is a soul that found me.

One night i was inbetween parties, and had gone home to change out of my work clothes. My ex was driving. Upon returning to my car, i hear a meow coming from under the car. this little yellow head pops out and looks at me with these big amber eyes. I was tipsy, Cute kittie! instant love...But could not have another animal. So we decide to throw him in the yard. He bolts back under the car. Again into the yard, then back under the car. This happens quite a few times. we decide to drive off, and toss him from there. As we drive away, he follows the car down the street. Guess who comes to live with us? One can of tuna later, i have a new cat.

I was going to call him Hobbes, but he looked and acted more like Calvin. Hence the name. He was a wild man. After living 6 months in the great outdoors he was undernourished, and frisky. He would eat Cantaloupe! My sister was living with me at the time. She comes home, bringing her man at the time. I hear her when she comes home, saying WE ARE NOT KEEPING THIS CAT! the next morning, he has totally seduced her and her man. So residence was established.

He would run across the apartment and jump up to the tops of the doors. When i lived with my fiance in a warehouse in dallas, he would climb the ladder, run across the air conditioning ducts then jump down onto the bed. It was a cycle. When i lived in a second story apartment, he would climb out of a 4" opening of a window and jump down onto the air conditioner unit downstairs. Freaked those poor people out. He has had both hips broken. that was a very scary day for me. He is completely healed and still jumping from my second story balcony to the stairs of my apartment building.

Now for the completion of my saga. The baby is a threat to my poor Calvin. He is so jealous, he wont even let the kid touch him . He growls or runs off. He has not hurt the child, and don't think he will. Calvin has been warned by me. in more ways that one. Not on a torturous evil abusive level, but he is aware of his limits in that area. And tolerates it. But he is a sneaky bastige. He tries to wake the baby from the nap. He is on me from the minute i get into the house, until the minute i leave. Sigh sigh sigh. I love this animal but this is starting to work me into a frenzy. Its obsessive. I have created this affection by spoiling this cat rotten. Now i have no time for him. And that makes me feel guilty!

So anyway. I wanted to get this out of my head. I may have to find a home for him. He still has a good 5 years in him. The only solution i see is to get a bigger apartment, so there is more room for us all. And get them a cat jungle gym so they have their own area to play in. Yep. i love this cat, but something has to give. Or i am going to split some brain cells like atoms. And then no one will get fed....ARGGGG!!!!!!

Comments

aNON said…
Melanie,

What if you get him a Lady-Cat friend?
Michelle said…
I hope that you find a workable solution, Mel. I think he'd have a really hard time adjusting to a new family since he is so close to you.

What about giving him a "baby" of his own? A little kitten for him to take care of?

Good luck with this...
bhd said…
Check with your vet about some kitty drugs. Mood-altering kitty drugs. It's worth a shot.

Popular Posts