The Companion


Have I ever been in love? i am wondering. I know that I have made attempts to share my heart with the opposite sex. I have shared my body with the opposite sex. I have been so entranced by the someone that i got lost in its dream and faded away... into a person I didn't wish to be. We all share this story.

Its a story of love. But tell me readers. What is love? Is it the butterflies in your stomach? Is it the way the ass looks as it walks away from you? Is it the breath that caresses your neck as you sleep? The time you lie awake waiting to see those eyes looking at you again? Is there love in those moments? And when they do leave us, does love leave? Not really. Like all great days, the sun sets, and it fades. Its bright beautiful colors growing darker. Filling the corners with its remaining pieces of glitter and momentos. And that finally fades to. But our hearts always hold a piece of that. Like ice frozen in a rock, our love melts but it makes a space that remains with us always.

This week I have observed the evidence of love. And love lost. From the eyes of my women friends, some who are saying goodbye to their visions, perspirations and perpetual heart song flowing out to that other. The promise of the other. The being that completes ourselves. The companion makes life worth living! reminds us to sing, laugh, shave our legs, paint beautiful dreams with our words to them, about them with them. Sweet sisters. We must remember one thing. without us they would be nothing! And in leaving us for another, they have left themselves without US! a true friend and companion. But such are choices that we have no control over. Hence the pain of the greatest feeling we will ever know.

We find ways to remove ourselves from the pain. From the heartache. Taking down old images and replacing them with mirrors. To remind ourselves of our beauty. Our purpose. And our ability to overcome. Until in that mirror we see our light shining again. We put on our amour, and we saddle up to ride again across the wilderness. Looking for the companion. The other. The one that makes us laugh, sing and soar above the old pangs of love. A true, sure and honest companion.

But, damn all this waiting. Its hell on my sex life! ;-)

Comments

bhd said…
Mel, that is truly beautiful.
winter said…
Gorgeous.
Alexandra said…
Now you've gone and made me cry again, just when I thought I had no tears left! And the Breakfast Nook was closed tonight!

Thanks, sweet Melanie...the Muses surely must've attacked you today.

Yes, damn all this waiting. And the fear of the unknown. Normally, it's exciting but these days, the unknown just sucks beyond all suckdom. It does tonight, anyway...shouldn't have drunk all that Chardonnay....*sniff sniff*
Alexandra said…
P.S. I have never been more uncertain about love than I have at this point in my life. Perhaps it's because I've never been with anyone...not ANYONE who has seemed reliable or consistent enough to believe in love as I do.
Anonymous said…
Dammit, Memz. You pulled out my heart and wrote down what was written there.

I love you, chick.
Anica said…
Hey Mel,

I am deeply moved by this writing. My heart is with you when you describe love and how it can hurt when reality breaks it.
newwavegurly said…
Ah yes, lost love.
I thought I had found myself a true companion, but I have learned that I was mistaken. And so this chapter closes and I move on.

Thank you for the beautiful sentiment of your post, my sistah. :hug:
S.A.M. Tanner said…
Love is a rose but you better not pick it...
An Urban Femme said…
lol I love you, Memmie. We'll find him eventually.

Popular Posts