I hear that train a comin...

it´s rolling round the bend
and I ain´t seen the sunshine since I don´t know when,
I´m stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin´ on
but that train keeps a rollin´ on down to San Anton..

My current habitation is 3 blocks from the main train tracks in my town. All night long i hear them rumble through carrying cargo to Dallas/Houston and beyond. And tonight it brought to mind that song. I feel that this town is a prison for me.

When i originaly came to Conroe it was as an unwilling 13 year old. Moving from the suburbs of Cincinatti Ohio, to a small southern Texas town! I was excited thinking about all the old fashioned ideas people have of Texas. Envisioning terrains that look more like El Paso, than one hour north of the over developed swampland called Houston. I am a dreamer/idealist.

I got here, and went directly into culture shock! It was nothing like what i expected. I came from a progressive learning school to the deep south, where men are men, and women better learn to like it existence. I was not happy. Nor was i well accepted. And that didn't bother me too much. Where i came from, i had a large group of friends that i had grown up with. And that i played with, went to church with, etc. I didn't find really anyone the caliber of that life. so five years here, i grew up. Finally found some people in High School on the swim team i could relate to. and bond with. And finally finally ran as quickly as i could to college.

Now this time i have been stuck in this small town because of my circumstances. I had to stay close to my parents for my babies sake, and mine. We needed the support. My job and my life in this town had dragged me into a cultural abyss. so bad i spent most of my time online with my friends chatting and listening to my favorite music. "RP has changed my life." And visiting them in California for the first time. And then to a wedding in Napa in September. I fell in love with the people and the terrain. And have been thinking about it since last summers family reunion. I swore i would never live in California. Never say never people. I am on the move. To the Golden State.

My life is changing rapidly! For some reason the universe is spitting me out of here like a cannonball! No train could take me away faster. And i think i set this in motion without even trying to. But here i go...out of folsem prison blues to a new life in California. Wish me luck. and look for me there.

I wont be posting a blog again from this state. My next blog post will be from Sunny CA! yea man, groovy!

Comments

Alison said…
You rock.
Anna said…
This is so terrific, Melanie!!!! I am in awe. ((((HUG))))

And I am so going to come and visit you. :)
Anonymous said…
Another journey and adventure begins. Have fun, and be happy,sweetie.
S.A.M. Tanner said…
"One should never cross the Great Magnet in The Sky."
~Hunter S. Thompson~
winter said…
So long, Texas - hello, California!
Alexandra said…
Wooo-hoo! In the words of James McMurtry (whadya know! A Texan!)..."we're gonna have us a time."

Popular Posts