you never gave me a chance

I was thinking today, i am not mad
i am not angry nor am i upset.
i just really miss my friend.
then it hit me like a brick.

I was a distraction from a woman
that you couldn't have. a momento
to keep your mind off her name
and on a road you wouldnt travel

how could we ever really make it work
when i was behind the wall of the other?
How could i know until right now
that is where you held me all along?

the pictures we painted held her image
not mine in its coloration and sphere
but i was there with you in your space
and you did give me some inspiration

the truth is not always what it seems
words do not always portray meaning
interest does not always hold the one
in the light you wish it to.

love was ours only on consignment
for i was not an option in the puzzle.
i was a distraction. a tool to make
this time go by in the process.

no way could we ever say
that we would or would not
be in love, for we never met
we never kissed. we never were.

screens apart in a mirror we held
each others images to our own
not really wanting to let go
and not really wanting to stay.

i still think of the rain we shared
the promise of always being a friend
the words honesty and respect passing
into a tornado blowing us away

i hope that when things get rough and
you find yourself in need of a friend
you know that my ear will be awake
to the times when we did discuss openly

smiling thinks of the first times we
talked about never wanting to know
if the night turned into day without us
or if the day would come we would cross

the path that life destined for all of us.
which way will we go from here?
i am not allowed to know or say but
as another day passes i still think of you.

Comments

Hey... that a nice poem.
Methinks you've actually experienced the pain written in it...
Alexandra said…
*applause*

I'll bet this just flowed right out, too. Right out of the heart.

I can certainly relate to never having been given a chance...it's an ache that feels like it might never go away completely--even if it does diminish.
Anonymous said…
Your words express very well what it's like to be involved with someone who isn't fully present or who doesn't see you as a full human.

Similar words could be used for a relationship with an addict, for an abuser, for any sort of self-centered type. I'd never looked at it this way before. Thanks for the insight!

Awesome poem!
Mermaid Melanie said…
anon,
how true. I am so glad to see your post. It affirms that what i portrayed was written well enough to be understood. I so wish that people would learn from their mistakes. and not continue to harm others with them. but if wishes were fishes we would all have a fry! :wink:
Anonymous said…
This is so sad, Melanie. I am so sad reading this because this get me to the core and I feel as if I was sucker punched. I am sorry if I am negative sometimes.
Mermaid Melanie said…
anica, life can be sad. It has to be sometimes so that we can appreciate its beauty in the next breath. Remember to let go of the sadness with as much expression as the love and joy. that is why i write these things.

i am trying to let go. :hug: :hug:

its not negative dear. its what you feel right now. reading this. thank you for your words. Always.
edieraye said…
Oh so beautiful. And so true. What is that line about the grecian urn - Truth is Beauty?

It is wonderful that you can recognize and accept such a complicated situation. And utterly amazing that you can communicate it so universally and personally at the same time.

You are a rare talent!
Mermaid Melanie said…
Oh edie. i ache. every pore in my body aches. thanks for the confirmation. i needed it.

;-)
Lady Prism said…
I still think of the rain ( rain...rain...rain....i was there in the rain..with him...rain...rain...rain...) we shared
the promise of always being a friend
the words honesty and respect passing
into a tornado blowing us away....


the truth is not always what it seems.........

words do not always portray meaning...

I was a distraction....

not mine...

in its sphere of coloration....

only on consignment....

YOU SAID IT ALL FOR ME...

Popular Posts