Fireworks & Deviled Eggs

Okay, its Independance Day weekend. Celebrating the good folks who fought off the british to give us land lots of land with the starry skies above. And i am thankful for that. We are lucky in so many ways to have these opportunities and options available to us. Now that doesn't make us better than the rest of the world. Far from it. But we aren't any less either. well, that discussion is for another day...(i can hear you sighing, whew.) So what does independance mean to you? Is it something we take for granted? I think I do. So what. its my privlage in this lifetime. And i am not selfish or self centered with it, so i don't feel guilty in enjoying it.

Fourth of July brings to mind fireworks for me. Sparklers, bottle rockets, smoke bombs, Huge downtown displays made of gunpowder and cardboard. Pyrotechnics. One of the most awesome and mezmorizing sights to see, close up or at a distance. LOVE IT! i think one of the best fireworks shows to date for me was in downtown Houston. They had a live concert with Jean Michael Jarre. He was playing as the fireworks went off. the sky was a bit cloudy so the effects were a cool colored haze! And not just fireworks, they had a light show happening as well. Houstonians will remember exactly of what i speak.

Another element of this holiday is the memories of late summer nights by the grill with friends and family waiting for it to get dark and the fireworks. The smell of burning meat and ears of corn. Drinking beer, now. Lawn chairs for the adults, kids in a frenzy of energy because something different was happening. And there are explosives their parents let them have. Good times. Almost always.

So in commemoration of this holiday, a "gosh aren't you all great people for working so cheaply for us so we are going to feed you some meat" luncheon is being held at my office. As stated, they are only providing the meat. We provide the rest. The sign up list has mostly desserts on it! go figure. None of these good people are on WW. So I decided to bring cole slaw, and deviled eggs. I, as an adult, really like deviled eggs. (A hint about making good deviled eggs. Add a dash of fresh horseradish. My secret ingredient.) So needless to say that after noon, not much is going to be accomplished in my office. And my weekend is booked. Off to see some old "stoner" college friends. All older with children, many of whom I have not seen since then. Humbling, and yet fun! and they get to meet my little man. I will be the only single mother there. Why do i always have to be the freak? Cest la vie.

enjoy the fireworks people! and eat eat eat. Be safe, see you on the other side. ;-)

Comments

Michelle said…
You have a wonderful weekend, Melanie.

And, if you ask me, your date (the little man) for the event is quite handsome!

*hug*
Mermaid Melanie said…
Thanks Michelle, and you are right! He is a fine young man. Now if he could hold off from acting two for a day or so...HA!

Jas, thanks for your reminder. And your serving to protect. It is an honor to have you on my side.
love you bro! m
Allan said…
Why do i always have to be the freak?

You're not. So just stop that.

Have a wonderful weekend, Melanie.
Alexandra said…
All that 4th of July imagery about cookouts and grilles and kids running around....*sigh*...I can so relate. This is my first holiday away from my friends/family. I miss that.

Popular Posts